- 32 oz. Brussels sprouts; rinse, remove ends and any wilted leaves (you can halve them if you like)
- 2 apples, diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in sprouts and season well with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in apple chunks and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-7 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once you’re happy with the texture and tenderness of the sprouts, eat up!
Adapted from http://paleobetty.com/2011/08/29/sauteed-brussels-sprouts-with-apple/
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 pound specialty sausage (or ground turkey or beef)
- 1 zucchini – diced
- 1/2 onion – diced
- 1/2 cup carrots – diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper – diced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Other optional veggies: spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc.
- 1 clove garlic – crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt/pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Olive oil
- 2 slices nitrate free bacon – cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- Other optional spices – to taste – depending on the type of meat (apple sausage might use nutmeg and cinnamon instead of the cumin and chili, or italian sausage might use oregano, basil, and rosemary)
- Cook bacon in pan until it gets lightly crispy.
- Add all veggies except for tomatoes, garlic, and spices and saute until crisp done.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds and gunk. Brush with olive oil and dust with salt and pepper. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake Squash for 15 minutes cut side up.
- Mix bacon/ veggie mixture with remaining ingredients (including bacon grease!) in a large bowl and scoop into acorn squash.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Based on http://paleowod.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/paleo-stuffed-acorn-squash/
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 apple, diced
- 8 strips of bacon, diced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach
- Handful of sliced almonds for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard (Trader Joe’s has a nice one)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the diced sweet potatoes with the coconut oil and spread onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook diced bacon in a large skillet.
- Once the bacon is crispy, add the sliced leeks and saute for another 4-5 minutes.
- Put your spinach in a large salad bowl and add the bacon and leek mixture.
- Toss well, letting the warm bacon welt the spinach.
- Add the apples and sweet potatoes to the salad and toss together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients.
- Pour over the salad, mix well, and garnish with the sliced almonds.
Adapted from everydaypaleo.com