- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 lb hot ground pork or sausage
- 2 large egg plants, peeled
- 2 large or 4 medium zucchini
- 4-6 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh basil
- fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
Pre heat oven to 350. Slice the egg plant (peeled) and zucchini in 3/8 inch (long) slices. Coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes. An option is to slice sweet peppers and roast them with the egg plant and zucchini…yellow peppers add a bit of color.
While the veges are roasting prepare the sauce. Brown the hamburger and sausage together. Remove excess fat. Add the carrots, onion, pepper and garlic to the meat. Saute until the onions and peppers are tender. Add the tomato paste and tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the basil and thyme to taste. You can use italian seasoning instead of the fresh spices. The sauce should be thick, so simmer to reduce until it reaches the desired consistency. It usually takes 20-30 minutes to finish the sauce.
In a large casserole pan coat the bottom with the sauce. Layer the egg plant, sauce and zucchini in the pan. Repeat. If desired, add a small amount (no more than 2-3 tablespoons) of crumbled goat cheese, sprinkled on the middle and top layers, to add a little zip. Finish with a layer of sauce.
Bake in the oven on 350 for 30 minutes.