- 2 acorn squash
- 1 pound specialty sausage (or ground turkey or beef)
- 1 zucchini – diced
- 1/2 onion – diced
- 1/2 cup carrots – diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper – diced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Other optional veggies: spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc.
- 1 clove garlic – crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt/pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Olive oil
- 2 slices nitrate free bacon – cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- Other optional spices – to taste – depending on the type of meat (apple sausage might use nutmeg and cinnamon instead of the cumin and chili, or italian sausage might use oregano, basil, and rosemary)
- Cook bacon in pan until it gets lightly crispy.
- Add all veggies except for tomatoes, garlic, and spices and saute until crisp done.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds and gunk. Brush with olive oil and dust with salt and pepper. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake Squash for 15 minutes cut side up.
- Mix bacon/ veggie mixture with remaining ingredients (including bacon grease!) in a large bowl and scoop into acorn squash.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Based on http://paleowod.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/paleo-stuffed-acorn-squash/