- 4 lbs. bone-in pork shoulder
- 4 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 full batch of Beasty BBQ Sauce
- Mix all of the ingredients above – except the pork shoulder and BBQ sauce – in a small mixing bowl. Mix well – this will be your spice rub.
- Massage the spice rub all over the meat in every crevice you can find.
- Wrap tightly in a double wrap of plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight). You can refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Unwrap the roast and place it in your crock pot, adding 1/4 cup of water and turning it on low, cooking for 8-10 hours – until the meat is fork-tender.
- Transfer your roast to a cutting board and discard all the liquid in your crock pot.
- Pull the meat apart by tearing the meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers.
- Place all the shredded meat back in the crock pot and toss with a full batch of the Beasty BBQ Sauce and heat on low for 60 minutes until hot.
- Serve and enjoy.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 9-11 hours
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 6-oz can of tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- For sweetness, add 1 can diced pineapple
- Combine all ingredients above into a sauce pan and place on stove over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Once the sauce has simmered, turn off the heat and pour the sauce into a blender or food processor and run until you get a nice, smooth sauce consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 4 cups.
Prep time: 15 min.
Cook time: 60 min.
Adapted from the Civilized Caveman