- 1 lb broccoli
- 3/4 c slivered or chopped almonds
- 1/2 c raisins ( I used golden raisins)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 c rendered bacon fat (drippings) or olive oil
- 1/4 c red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Set your oven to 375ºF.
- Place the bacon slices on a baking sheet and bake until they’re brown and crispy, about 25 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, get out a large bowl. For the broccoli, use your hands to remove the leaves on the base of the broccoli. With a knife, trim off the tough outside of the broccoli stem, so you’re left with the tender, pale green center. It shouldn’t be more than a couple millimeters thick–so don’t hack! Chop up the stem into tiny, bite-size pieces and do the same with the florets.
- Add the broccoli to the bowl, along with the vinegar, almonds, raisins and salt & pepper.
- Once the bacon is done, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Once cooled, chop or use your hands to crumble up the bacon and add it to the bowl. Pour 1/2 c of the rendered fat (drippings) from the bacon directly into the bowl.
- Toss everything together! Made this over the weekend and it was pretty yummy, sweet and salty 🙂
Contributed by Steph!