2 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 can diced tomatoes (no added salt)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 chipotle peppers, chopped (soak for an hour before hand in bowl to
8 oz. vegetable or chicken broth (organic, low sodium)
2 T almond butter
2 T organic cacao powder, unsweetened
4 dates, pitted and chopped
I had a bit of trouble finding chipotle chiles, but after many stop,
dried chipotle chiles were found. Before you make the recipe, soak
them in enough water to cover them for about an hour. Chop and use
about 1/4c of water they soaked in and add to sauce to thin.
fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Now be creative on whatever you want to serve this on- roast up some
chicken or scramble some eggs.
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat, and saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and spices. Keep cooking as the spices will get fuller.
- Add diced tomatoes, peppers, chipotles, broth, almond butter, and cocoa.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly, and puree in blender or food processor.
- Set aside… depending on the size of your food processor you may need to puree in small batches.
Now your mole is done – enjoy!
Submitted by Annie Mac