For the chicken:
1 ½ lbs. chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 t paprika
1 t coriander
1 t cumin
½ t cinnamon
¼ t red pepper flakes
For the tasty stuff that goes in the salad:
2 heads romaine lettuce
4 small golden beets
1 small-to-medium butternut squash
dried cherries (or cranberries–something tart will work best)
For the dressing:
juice 1 lemon
juice 1 lime
1-2 T vinegar (champagne or cider)
¼ – ½ c avocado oil (olive oil will work too)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Peel the beets and butternut squash (+remove the seeds).
- Chop into small pieces, salt/pepper and oil the pieces.
- Roast until the squash is soft, about 20 minutes (depending on how big the pieces are).
- While the veggies are roasting… In a large bowl, combine all the spices together.
- Toss the chicken pieces into the bowl and coat them evenly with the spice mixture.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat and saute the chicken until cooked
- Remove from the pan and add to the serving bowl.
- Wash and chop the lettuce.
- Add it, along with the rest of the “tasty” ingredients to the serving bowl. Add the squash and beets too.
For the dressing… Combine all ingredients into a small food processor and process until smooth. Of course, you could use a whisk and bowl, in lieu –just make sure you’ve smashed the avocado up before adding it to the dressing. * This dressing is RAD on everything. Seriously everything.
Submitted by Annie Mac